Can Asprin be taken dureing pregnancy?

Excellent
Question
Hi, I am writing to get a clarification on a specific medication the doctor has prescribed.
My wife is 34 years old and she is currently 7 weeks pregnant, we are expecting twins. The doctor we consulted has prescribed Asprin (Loprin 75mg - delayed release).
The doctor mentioned that this is to thin her blood and will help keep her blood pressure under control (expected to rise due to twins)

I want to know if this is a safe drug and can be consumed during this time of pregnancy, any side effects?

Thanks.
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mild and safe drug

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir, thanks for trusting health care magic.
Your doctor is right about the mechanism of action of this drug.
It is routinely prescribed for this purpose in high risk pregnancies.
In your case it is needed because of higher incidence of hypertension in twins and in females aged more than 30 years.
It is a safe drug with minimal side effects and most common is excessive bleeding from wounds which is difficult to stop.
But it is not very common to have a source of bleeding except during delivery of baby and thats why aspirin is stopped once pregnancy is 34 weeks of gestation.
I hope i have answered your query but in case you have other questions i will be happy to help.