Can Aspirin cause elevated ALT levels in liver enzyme?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2018 in General Health
Question: I have a slightly elevated ALT in my liver enzymes. I have been taking mothly blood tests for about six months and they were never higher than 12. It now stands at 57 my other ezymes ast and ggt are fine. I had the flu last week and was taking copious amounts of aspirin around 2000 mg per day for about a week. It is the only ting I've done differently, Also I took a Cialis on feb 14 and am taking high doses of cod liver oi and a daily dose of lutein. plus a daily multivitamin. Could this be a possible cause?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:

There is nothing to be worried about

Detailed Answer:

Your ALT levels are not at all a reason for concern. If ALT levels are more than your usual value, the transient elevation is likely due to the effect of aspirin.

But this is not concerning, and ALT levels will come down eventually. Dod liver oil and lutein are not harmful for your liver.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T