Can Aricept be taken along with Celexa?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Elderly Problems
Question: Good morning.

I need advice on continuing the Aricept with the Celexa, or a different anti-depressant. I am not the least bit comfortable with the ARNP's decisions but I don't know how to go against her or even if I should.

My 85 year old father in Minnesota is diagnosed with Alzheimer's dementia. He is steadily declining, and has been recently transferred from assisted living to memory care. He is unsteady in his gait, and has been falling more often, more just clumsiness and stumbling. His nurse practitioner removed Aricept and Namenda in July of this year, and his mental capabilities rapidly declined where he had been maintaining for the past year very well. Still aware of his surroundings and people he knew. All of a sudden he was living in his 20's, and they moved him to memory care unit. I insisted that they reintroduce Aricept, and he is able to function in the present most days, although he still has many hard moments.

Dad has had a lot of stress for the past 8 years, and his care team never addressed his depression until he threatened suicide two weeks ago. Yesterday, the arnp prescribed Celexa and took away the Aricept. I am ecstatic that they finally prescribed an anti-depressant for him. I had been advocating for this for over a year, finally they listened to me. However, taking away his Aricept is not something I am ready for. Apparently her reason for removing the med is to reduce his anxiety and let his mind go to "a better place" where he won't be so anxious about his limitations. I do not agree with this reasoning, but they are with him 24/7, and I live in Florida and only get to call him once a day and hope he's able to have a conversation. Most times he is not.

My family is in the process of moving him to Florida to be near me, and dad is anxious to move down here. I need advice on continuing the Aricept with the Celexa, or a different anti-depressant. I am not the least bit comfortable with the ARNP's decisions but I don't know how to go against her or even if I should.

Thank you ,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Restarting Aricept might be less helpful for him and more discomforting

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX XXXX,

Thanks for asking.

It is really a difficult situation to address.

With Aricept his cognition will improve, however, side effects like psychiatric disturbances, like depression will increase. Also, other side effects like syncope, or insomnia including gastrointestinal disturbances could restart.
Without Aricept, he would not be able to manage himself. However, with treatment like Celexa, the depression will come down. If Depression was a side effect of Aricept, it might not be necessary too.

Also, as the dementia is progressing, the expected recovery from Aricept might not be occurring and the side-effects are becoming hard to manage. You need to discuss with his doctor regarding this.
The most important thing presently is to make him comfortable with the least medication. If I were you, I would definitely want Aricept to be continued along with Celexa. If you can be around, be part of the care around him, for your sake, you can stress about restarting Aricept and Celexa together.

Look around for his comfort. Aricept could have been the cause of depression and numerous associated side effects, would also have to be addressed too. As it almost last stages of dementia, good days will be very less and bad days possibly more.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM