Can Amoxicillin be taken for strep throat?

Question
35 yr old male. 2 months ago I was on amoxicillin for an ear infection. I know have strep throat and taking amoxicillin again. Will it still work or to close in between?
Thu, 24 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. While I would have preferred another antibiotic rather than amoxicillin for the ear infection, I think it is ok to take it again for the strep throat. The main concern here is developing thrush, or an intestinal infection, since antibiotics kill the good bacteria. This can be avoided by taking probiotics and or yoghurt in the mean time.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards