question-icon

Can Amlodipine Cause Back Pain As A Side-effect?

Posted on Mon, 6 Nov 2017
Question: I started taking Amlodipine and now have back pain can that be the cause?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
it is a very very rare cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is not a common reaction, occurring in 0.1% to 1% (1 out of 1000 to 1 out of 100 persons).
Because it is so rare, other causes would normally be ruled out first.

The most common causes of back pain are strain/trauma of the muscles of the back, arthritis or different bony changes to the back.
An xray of the back may be considered if the pain is severe or does not improve.

If there are other potential causes of the back pain then it may be amlodipine.

Alternatively, if you do not wish to do the x ray at this time, you should consider speaking to your doctor about discontinuing it to see if the pain resolves when the medication is stopped.
An alternative may need to be used to keep the blood pressure under control

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James