Can Amitriptyline help cure esophageal hypersensitivity?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Can amitriptyline be prescribed for sensitive oesophagus? Will it cure the dry throat & "lump" in the back of my throat?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not normally used for this

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Amitriptyline was originally intended as an anti depressant but it is not mainly used to treat nerve related pain.

It is not normally used to treat dryness of the throat or feeling of a lump at the back of the throat.

This would normally be treated with oral anti histamines and topical nasal sprays because most commonly due to post nasal drip. Some persons are not aware of the drip, this is the case in 20% of persons.

Eg of sprays are flonase, rhinocort, nasonex , nasocort

It can take 1 to 3 weeks, in some cases, of consistent use , for a response

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 hours later
Thank you. I've had symptoms of GERD for nearly 2 years, but a gastroscopy shows all clear except for a very small Hiatus Hernia. Dryness of throat and feeling of a lump there also appear to be symptoms of reflux, so post nasal drip has never been considered. (I also burp a lot). As acid blockers & other acid reducing medicines don't have any effect, I'm told that I have a sensitive oesophagus and that further treatment i.e. surgery etc. would therefore be ineffective. 10mg Amitriptyline once daily has been prescribed to deaden the nerves, but this seems a powerful drug for this purpose & I'm very reluctant to take it. I've never been depressed and am otherwise very fit & healthy & take no other medications. Your comments would be greatly appreciated. With regards, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not at levels normally use for depression

Detailed Answer:
HI

If you wish, since you have a history of reflux, you can combine the reflux treatment with treatment for post nasal drip to see if this has an effect.

Some persons have both conditions existing at the same time. If there is going to be an effect, it should be within 1 to 3 weeks.

If after this interval there is no improvement , can consider alternative. If you are not comfortable with this then you can use the amitriptyline, the dose is small, not at the levels used to treat depression but at the levels used to treat nerve related pain/discomfort.

Should use at night, since it causes drowsiness

Please feel free to ask anything else