Can Amiodarone HCL be taken for irregular heart rate?
I would recommend as follows:
Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!
Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that it is very likely that your wife's heart palpitations be due to cardiac arrhythmia, mos probably atrial fibrillation.
In such case using an antiarrhythmic drug (like amiodarone) would be a rational therapeutic alternative (if there are no contraindications).
But you should also know that amiodarone should not be considered a pill-in-the pocket drug and used in ambulatory settings (at home).
In such circumstances amiodarone could be ineffective and even dangerous.
Amiodarone could be an effective approach if used intravenously or at increased oral doses under close heart monitoring conditions.
Coming to this point, if those heart palpitations persist, I would better recommend you to ask medical assistance in the nearest ER service at your living area.
She should perform some tests:
-a resting ECG
- a cardiac ultrasound
- blood electrolytes
- thyroid hormone levels.
You should discuss with her doctor or the ER doctor on the above mentioned issues.
Hope you will find this answer helpful!
Feel free to ask me again if you have any other questions!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Headache nausea irregular heart rate
- Is my irregular heart rate dangerous
- Irregular heart rate causes
- Why do i have irregular heart rate
- Treatment and cure for Irregular heart rate
- Irregular heart rate in the morning
- Drugs/medication for Irregular heart rate
- Symptoms of Irregular heart rate
- Diagnosis of Irregular heart rate
- Irregular heart rate in 4week old baby
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?