Can Ambien be taken for sleeplessness and headache after drinking alcohol?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Drug Abuse
Question: Hi. After 15 years of drug free I was on a binge of scotch an cocaine last night . I haven't slept yet.
I just took a clonazepam , a 5-htp , and some camomile / peppermint tea. I'm going to try to eat some soup now . I'm not too bad but sleep is nowhere in site . The question is can I take an ambien after I eat something?
I have A big headache and still jittery . I think if I manage to go to sleep I'll be fine and never repeat this idiotic behavior

Thank you , XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol, cocaine, Ambien

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the question.

If you have stopped drinking, probably the best way to help with a cocaine crash is to take small-dose (0.25-0.5mg) Klonopin at 8-12 hour intervals. Ambien is probably okay, again if you are not drinking. Taking benzos with actively drinking alcohol is dangerous. Taking Ambien this way is also dangerous. As long as you are not drinking at the same time small doses of either Klonopin/Ambien should be okay.

For a more comprehensive evaluation and answer, ask me on HealthCareMagic at the private link below: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T