Can Ambien be taken for restlessness while treating pneumonia?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have walking pneumonia and need to take my cough syrup tonigh as coughing was worse, problem is it seems to keep me awake, can I take an ambien to combat the now restlessness I have having?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If it is a one-time dose then yes, otherwise better to consult your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Yes, ambien (active ingredients zolpidem) will improve quality of sleep, and can be taken, but it should also be noted that it can be addictive and should only be taken as per a doctors prescription, instructions, supervision and guidance, so please do visit your doctor for the same.

As for the cough syrup, cough syrups can cause insomnia and so I would recommend a more productive format to address your nocturnal cough, substitute cough syrup with bronchodilators, etc; also to be discussed with your prescribing doctor.

In my opinion, addressing the cough syrup issue would be more wise, because that is the source, and as long as the source is present, the side effects (insomnia) will be present. Instead of addressing the side effects, it would be wiser to address the source, don't you think ma'am?

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy