question-icon

Can Ambien be stopped after having normal blood test reports?

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018
Question: All the blood tests came back within the normal ranges. We are reducing the frequency of Ambien over a 2 week period to nothing.
Answered by Dr. Monish De (38 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Ambien should be stopped
Detailed Answer:
Hi
Ambien is a sedative, also called as a hypnotic. It affects chemicals in the brain that may be unbalanced in people with sleep problems like insomnia
Ambien is used to treat insomnia.
Since all the blood tests came back normal, reducing the frequency of Ambien should be done slowly in tapering form.
The recommended initial dose is either 5 or 10 mg for men, taken only once per night immediately before bedtime with at least 7–8 hours remaining before the planned time of awakening.

So the dose should be reduced from 10 mg to 5 mg for 5 days followed by 2.5 mg from 5 mg for 5 days and then you can stop

It causes side effects such as drowsiness, headache, and running nose and that is why the continuation of the drug is not recommended.
If you have any more queries I will be glad to help.

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Monish De (15 minutes later)
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Monish De (18 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
If you have any more queries I will be glad to help you

Detailed Answer:
Hi

If you have any more queries I will be glad to help you.

Otherwise, you can close the question.

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist
Dr. Monish De

Oncologist