Can Allopurinol cause headache?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: headache after taking allopurinol a problem ?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do you always get headaches after taking allopurinol?? Terrible headaches?

Detailed Answer:

Headaches are not common after taking allopurinol but remains a rare side effect. If you however have headaches all the times after taking this drug, then it might be the case with you. I will like to know how severe these headaches are and whether they warrant medication to address or that allopurinol be stopped.

I hope to hear back from you on the severity of these headaches and whether there is need for the drugs to be reviewed and revised entirely.

Kind regards and waiting!......
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
She , doesn;t normally have headaches . She takes the medication after dinner , gets a headache- not severe - wakes up next morning and feels good .
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let herdrink much water as she takes this drug!

Detailed Answer:

Because teh headaches are not severe and gets resolved in a short tme, I will not ask that the medications be stopped. However, I suggest that she takes this drug with a good volume of water, at least a glass , and let's see what difference this makes.

Keep me updated on her progress. I wish her well and always remeber am here to address any health worries you may have.