Can Allegra and Montelukast be taken together for allergic rhinitis?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I am 38 years old man I have allergy to weather /temperature Change, dust, grass etc and have been diagnosed with allergic rhynitis is it advisable to take allegra 180 with montelukast every night for 6 months or more? While I'm taking allegra I don't have running nose, cold like symptoms and headaches but when I stop taking it they come back
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry for long term use. These are safe drugs.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Yes, you can take Allegra and montelukast for long periods.
Allegra is having fexofenadine. It is non sedative, newer, antihistamine.
It is not having side effects.
Same is true with montelukast.
Combination of these two drugs is also available. Name is Allegra M.
In my opinion, you should also start intranasal spray containing steroid (fluticasone).
It is treatment of choice for allergic rhinitis along with Allegra M.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health. Thanks.