question-icon

Can Aleve or Tylenol be taken while on OxyContin?

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016
Question: Hi, I am currently on 10mg OxyContin (foot surgery). May I take Aleve or Tylenol in addition if needed?

Thanks, XXXXXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis (12 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
you can, unless there are other contraindications

Detailed Answer:

the drugs you've mentioned and each of them potentiates the effects of the others, so their combination is a strong painkiller. So the answer is that you can use them unless other contraindications apply to you. For example aleve may cause peptic ulcer, gastrointestinal bleeding, worsening of hypertension, acute renal failure, allergic reactions, liver toxicity, etc. If you don't have any relevant history (or bad experience) with NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) then you can use aleve. Tylenol is a fairly "innocent" drug although you should be cautious not to exceed the maximum dosage because it may result in serious liver toxicity. The maximum dosage for paracetamol (acetaminophen) which is the main ingredient in tylenol is 4gr per day divided in 4-8 doses that is 500mg every 3-8 hours or 1gr every 6-8 hours.

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis