Can Aleve cause stomach bleeding?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: I suffer from. Chronic knee and back pain. I take 2 Aleve every morning to help me functio . Yesterday I bought a Lidocaine patch to put on my knee so I could do some after Christmas shopping. Within minutes I was noticing tingling and blanching on my hands, followed my my lips swelling. Next, I started feeling nauseous and felt light headed. I quickly found a rest room. I started having severe stomach pains, my body started to sweat profusely . Scared I was having a heart attack, I ripped the patch off, washed it with cold water. Started cold running water on my face, and arms, neck and started to get some relief. I gathered myself and started to walk out, only for it to start all over again. This time the stomach pains were so severe it felt like I was in labor. After more cold water, I placed cold wet paper towels on my neck and walked out. I drove home . The violent diarrhea started. This went on for close to an hour with my stools turning red. Throughout the evening and morning, it is pure blood. Probably 2 table spoons each time. 24 hours later I am feeling better, only speratic stomach pain and the bleeding seems to have stopped. Since I cannot afford medical insurance, I have not gone to the ER. My question is, this is probably some sort of internal bleeding. Has my over use of OTC meds caused my stomach lining to be in severe condition? Have I caused this myself?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
OTC Aleve seems to be the culprit.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Aleve (naproxen) is a gastric irritant and continued use can lead to gastrointestinal bleeding. Try refraining from it for the time being and whenever subsequently you take it, make sure to take it in full stomach. Also take Prilosec (omeprazole) to reduce the gastritis that you seem to have developed.

Take ORS to replenish the lost fluids and salts. This is the most important step.

Although the symptoms were noticed after putting the lidocaine patch, and although some reaction could have occurred, I doubt if there was a direct correlation with rest of the presentations.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 44 minutes later
What exactly are ORS?
Never mind, I liked it up. Oral rehydrating solutions. Ok.Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D