Can Aldactone cause panic attacks or weird dreams?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is it possible for Aldactone 100 mg/day to cause panic attacks or weird dreams? How about magnesium supplement?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Aldactone not likely to cause panic attack

Detailed Answer:

No it is not evident that aldactone can cause panic attacks or weird dreams. But yes due to changes in blood pressure it can cause drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, stomach upset, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or headache which is just like anxiety features.

I need to know if there is any relation between starting the drug and your panic attacks symptoms.

Magnesium supplement may help in anxiety symptoms if there is deficiency of the same otherwise not. I suggest going for serum magnesium level first.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 4 minutes later
I'm taking it with Metformin, and a birth control called Low Lo Estrin Fe. I'm also taking a magnesium supplement. None of these symptoms started until taking all of these together.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lo Estrin Fe can cause panic attacks

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

Form mentioned drugs Lo Estrin (norethindrone acetate and ethinyl estradiol) can cause panic attacks in few patients.

You need to discuss this possibility with your treating doctor.

Feel free to ask further for any doubt.