Can Alcohol cause worsening of Balanitis or its recurrence?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I just went thru a strait of Balanitis (most likely yeast)

After about 3.5 weeks of using the 1% clotrimazole cream, it did not help. So I took 150mg of Fluconazole tab for 3 days. After that, it all disappeared and I was feeling normal. However from last 2 days, it has come back again - red rash... a little bit of itch early in the morning and when I run under the foreskin, white curd like substance is there..
Looks like it has come back.

My question - Does alcohol have any impact on this? I consume o an average 3-4 pegs of Scotch 3-4 times a week. Can Alcohol cause the infection to become worse or come back?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Regarding yeast infection.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

I have noted your concern.

I suggest you to get your blood glucose tested as raised blood glucose is commonly associated with recurrent yeast infections of glans - balanitis.

However, alcohol intake does not predispose to recurrent yeast infection.

For recurrent yeast infection of the glans I suggest you to take 3 doses of Tab. Fluconazole - on day 1, day 4 and day 7. Topically you may continue with Clotrimazole cream, twice daily.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Kakkar S.
Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 17 minutes later
I actually did Blood work this morning to ensure I dont have elevated Blood Sugar.

My fasting Blood sugar is 95, and by Haemoglobin A1C is 5.4, so all well within normal limits.

What then causes this recurrent infection? Is this Yeast infection or something else like an STD? I doubt it since the symptoms disappeared after I took Fluconazole for 3 days.

Also, in your prescription above - by 3 dozes, you mean 100MG 3 times a day (morning, afternoon, evening) on day 1, then same on day 4 and day 7, or just 1X150mg on each of the three days?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Candidal balanitis.

Detailed Answer:

Hi.

I suggest 150mg fluconazole on day 1, 150mg on day 4 and 150 mg on day 7. These are anti-fungal medicines and to be taken under doctor's supervision.

Candidal balanitis is not considered an STD though it is more common in those who practice oral sex.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Kakkar S.
Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj