Can Albuterol nebulizer and Advair be taken together?
The Advair contains a long-acting version of the albuterol (a bronchodilator, which is for opening up the airways). Advair also contains an inhaled steroid to decrease inflammation.
Usually, when using a product with a long-acting bronchodilator like Advair has in it, a short-acting bronchodilator like albuterol is only used when needed.
If a person is needing albuterol four times a day, usually Advair or something similar is given to replace the albuterol except for times of increased problems.
Or the dose of Advair is increased if the person is already on it.
I would not recommend abruptly discontinuing the albuterol nebulizer but I do strongly advise calling the lung specialist to tell him or her the situation.
You can ask to speak with his or her nurse and tell the nurse this dilemma. Ask the nurse for clarification from your doctor as to whether you should be doing both medications in a scheduled way as you are currently doing.
If your last breathing test was done during a time when you were using both medications, it's possible you may need both.
Or, the lung specialist may instead want to increase your dose of Advair and eliminate the albuterol except as needed.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Albuterol nebulizer treatment dosage
- Albuterol vs advair
- Albuterol ipratropium nebulizer solution
- Albuterol ipratropium bromide nebulizer
- Albuterol vials for nebulizer
- Albuterol nebulizer side effects
- Albuterol and budesonide nebulizer
- Albuterol ipratropium nebulizer dosage
- Albuterol nebulizer adult dose
- Albuterol nebulizer treatment for bronchitis
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis