Can Albuterol nebulizer and Advair be taken together?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 8 Oct 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I'm taking albuterol with a nebullizer four times a day. I'm also taking ADVAIR twice a day at 12 hour intervals. I just read I should not take both simultaneously. My lung specialist recommended the ADVAIR. Im not sure who recommended the nebullizer. Should I only use the nebullizer as needed? My e-mail address is YYYY@YYYY .
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Information

Detailed Answer:

The Advair contains a long-acting version of the albuterol (a bronchodilator, which is for opening up the airways). Advair also contains an inhaled steroid to decrease inflammation.

Usually, when using a product with a long-acting bronchodilator like Advair has in it, a short-acting bronchodilator like albuterol is only used when needed.

If a person is needing albuterol four times a day, usually Advair or something similar is given to replace the albuterol except for times of increased problems.

Or the dose of Advair is increased if the person is already on it.

I would not recommend abruptly discontinuing the albuterol nebulizer but I do strongly advise calling the lung specialist to tell him or her the situation.

You can ask to speak with his or her nurse and tell the nurse this dilemma. Ask the nurse for clarification from your doctor as to whether you should be doing both medications in a scheduled way as you are currently doing.

If your last breathing test was done during a time when you were using both medications, it's possible you may need both.

Or, the lung specialist may instead want to increase your dose of Advair and eliminate the albuterol except as needed.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician