Can Albendazole be prescribed for the effective treatment of pinworms?
I have had the following treatments:
Emverm,tablet, early July, did not work; took 2nd Emverm dose after 1 week on the advice of my doctor; did not work
Pyrantel Palmoate over the counter pinworm medicine from Walgreen's Pharmacy, did not work.
Generic mebendazole 100 mg tablet twice a day for 3 days, did not work; I did this twice, once in July and once in September. I bought this medication on line. It was called "wormazole" and I assume it came from XXXXXXX
Vermox plus (mebendazole plus quinfaminide), single dose, 3 different times over the past 3 months, never worked. This medicine is manufactured by Janssen and is sold in Mexico.
Farmiver (albendazole single dose), once about a month ago, did not work. This medicine also is from Mexico.
In the meantime (Sept) my doctor prescribed me a ten day course of Flagyl because a stool culture revealed Endolimax Nana cysts in my stool.
Severe worm infestation.
Thanks choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
I would suggest you to take Ivermectin with Albendazole.
Ivermectin stimulates excessive release of neurotransmitters in the peripheral nervous system of parasites. It is thought to work by paralysing the parasite or inactivating the parasite gut.
I would suggest you to take it in doses 6 mg once daily for 14 days.
Albendazole works by keeping the worm from absorbing sugar (glucose), so that the worm loses energy and dies.Using it with ivermectin provide dual level of action.
Tab Ivermectin 6 mg once daily.
Tab Albendazole 400 mg once daily (chew) before going to bed.
Take both of them for 14 days.
Get a stool test done after 14 days.
You need to get a prescription from any family physician for these medicines.
Hello agiain my dear patient,
1)No you can take the medication in doses recommended by me.
2)Yes you can take two albendazole 200 mg at a time but crush them by chewing don’t swallow them as tablet with water.
Chewable has the same salt with additional falvours.If you can’t get chewable take some honey after chewing normal tablets.
3)Endolimax and Dientameba is a genus of amoebozoa- As you are still positive for it continue taking Metronidazole in doses 750 mg thrice daily for 10 days.
However in case if you remain positive even after 10 days then treatment with nitazoxanide has to be given.Its very helpful in clearing organisms and improving symptoms in metronidazole resistant cases.
500 mg nitazoxanide orally twice daily for 3 days is usually given.
You can discuss this with your treating Gastroenterologist.
In case you need any other help feel free to follow up.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is pinworm caplets used in the treatment of enterobiasis?
- Vaginal pinworm treatment
- Otc pinworm treatment walgreens
- Pinworm treatment mebendazole
- Pinworm treatment in adults
- Treatment and cure for pinworm infection
- Over the counter pinworm treatment
- Treatment and cure for Pinworms
- Pinworm treatment with doxycycline
- Pinworm treatment pediatric
- What causes chronic pain after several abdominal surgeries?
- What do my lab test reports indicate?
- How do belly bands function when inserted through the mouth?
- What causes burning sensation in the stomach along with vomiting?
- What does an SGPT value of 133 and alkaline phosphate of 103 indicate?
- Are stomachache, heartburn, nausea, flatulence and frequent bowel...
- What do yellow-colored stools indicate?
- Suggest treatment for upper chest pain
- Can Lotrel capsule be open and consume the powder?
- What causes persistent hiccups?