Can Advil, Tylenol and Benadryl be taken while having allergic reaction to Amoxicillin?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my granddaughter had a severe allergic reaction to amoxicillin,is it safe to give her Advil and Tylenol every 6 hours along with Benadryl and has been put on cortisone every 36 hrs. For 3 doses. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I don't think both Advil and Tylenol is needed

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern.Advil contains ibuprofen and tylenol is paracetamol.Both are anti inflammatory and antipyratic. Benadryl is an antihistaminic/antiallergic and works well in drug reaction.Cortisone is an steroid and it is very effective medication in drug reaction.

Please let me know what type of reaction is there(skin reaction or any associated breathlessness).
I don't think both tylenol and advil is needed unless the fever is not responding to single medication.Continue benadryl as advised.I would like to decrease the interval of cortisone(once or twice a day) for rapid recovery.

Please give me details so that I better able to help you out.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Wishing for your baby's speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar