Can Actalin be taken while on Armour Thyroid?

Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: can I take actalin while taking armor thyroid?
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not recommended

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Thank you for the question. I understand your concerns.

It is not a good idea to take additional drugs when you are on thyroid medication. The thyroid medication itself is sufficient to help you and more drugs are not needed.

Taking excess of certain minerals or vitamins can cause more harm than good.

I hope this has answered your query. Please post a follow up if you have more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 24 hours later
What if the armorthyroid is not working like it used to? I don't think armor thyroid has any other minerals and vitamins in it. My current doctor is not into hollistic remedies for problems. How can I go about making a trial run with actalin for 30 days?
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 14 hours later
Hi XXXX,

Thank you for the follow up.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Do you intend to use only Actalin and not use Armor thyroid?

If so, I think a better option would be to check the TSH level that you have. It is possible that you need an increase in the dose of Armor thyroid.

If the TSH level is above normal, then you can try increasing the dose till the symptoms of hypothyroidism reduce. This will help you to manage your condition better. Some symptoms of hypothyroidism are lethargy, weakness and weight gain.

I would say using Armor thyroid is a better option than using Actalin because it has worked in the past and will probably work again at a higher dose.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 34 hours later
What if the TSH level is below normal? Does that mean that I should reduce my dosage od armor thyroid?
Brief Answer:
TSH below normal indicates hyperthyroidism

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Thank you for the follow up.

A TSH level below normal means that the body has excess thyroid hormone. The body will reduce the TSH level to reduce the production of thyroid hormone.

The thyroid hormone level can also be increased when thyroid hormone is taken externally. You can reduce your dose slightly to check if the TSH level comes back to normal.

I hope this has answered your question. Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T