Can Acitretin and Cyclosporine be taken together for Psoriasis?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello,

My dermatologist has prescribed Acitretin & Cyclosporine for treatment of my newly developed Psoriasis.
Both drugs appear strong. Is it ok to be on these drugs at the same time?

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no interactions with each other

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Cyclosporine and acitretin are not known to interact with each other according to medical drug interaction checkers.

They can interact with other agents however so if you are on additional medications, you can let me know so that these could also be assessed.

Grape fruit juice should be avoided with cyclosporine because it can cause increased levels of this drug.
Red wine can cause decreased levels.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
Thank you DR.

I am on Amlodipine as well for high blood pressure.

Is it ok to have a 4-5 drinks a week while on these medications?
I heard it's not a good idea while on Acitretin.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
amlodipine can cause increase cyclosporine

Detailed Answer:
HI

Alcohol is not generally good with the acitretin but this is mainly for women not men.
Alcohol causes the build up of a breakdown product called etretinate, in women it can cause potential problems (cause fetal abnormalities).
It would cause build up in males as well but the consequences are not clear

Alcohol can decrease cyclosporine levels as mentioned , this may be limited to red wine but it is possible other types may do this as well

Amlodipine can potentially increase the levels of cyclosporine in some persons, not all may have this problem, but this should be kept in mind.

There is a minor counter reaction where cyclosporine can increase amlodipine but this is normally not significant

If anything else unclear, feel free to ask