Can AZO cause yellow vaginal discharge?

Posted on Fri, 21 Oct 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I took AZO maximum strength for urinary pain and not only is my urine yellow, my vaginal discharge is bright yellow, too!!
Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes the urine and vaginal discharge colour is because of Azo

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcare magic. I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.

By saying Azo drug I understand you mean Phenaxopyridine.
Yes this medicine changes the colour of urine and other body fluids ( vaginal discharge, tears etc) to startling orange to red. It can even stain the undergarments. Don't worry. This is temporary and harmless.

If you have further queries, do write to me.
Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 13 hours later
Yes, that's the drug I'm referring to. On the package, it just iterates that it will turn my urine orange/red (which it has), but it didn't say anything about other fluids, such as vaginal fluids becoming yellow or orange.

I was beyond worried this wasn't normal!
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
It stains all body fluids and it is temporary.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

It even stains soft contact lens,if one is using it.

If you have further queries, I will be happy to answer.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN