• question-icon

Can ALP blood test predict cancer?

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Cancer
Question: I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia. Have had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and both were fine. I went to a Hematologist and he did a ALP since last was 185 - now it is about 175. He did another test to rule out liver problems and it did. He wants me to have a nuclear blood scan. Now from everything I have read tonight on the internet - it appears that the chance of it being a cancer is high. I do not have rickets. I am a 65 year old female.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello . Please donot worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hello. First of all please do not worry. You have a borderline high value of ALP which to me is normal. Remember, we take abnormal ALP when it is elevated to atleast 3 times the upper limit of normal. So abnormal will be more than 400 IU/L. Moreover ALP does not predict cancer.
Borderline high ALP may be due to certain reason like high amount of lipids in your blood at the time of sampling, or in certain people with blood group O and B.
Markedly high(more than 3 times of upper limit) is seen in liver and bony disease.

I would suggest you not to go for a nuclear scan as it is unnecessary and also you will get unnecessary radiation.
At you age , only screening test for cancer are a colonoscopy(once in 10 years) and annual mammogram.
So by and large you are all right and do not require unnecessary test.
Thanks and regards
Feel free to ask further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist