question-icon

Can AIDS be transmitted after using rectal thermometer

Posted on Fri, 14 Mar 2014
Question: My son (8 months old) was hospitalized and checked by rectal thermometer. I forgot to pot on the plastic cover. Can he get AIDS? what are the odds?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (43 minutes later)
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to HCM Detailed Answer: HIV transmission by this mechanism is practically impossible. Even if this thermometer was contaminated,it cant cause viral transmission if there wasnt injury of rectal mucosa. So,dont worry about this small incident. There is absolutely no need for any concerns or testing. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (6 minutes later)
Dear Dr Romic, Thx for your prompt reply. Exactly what I needed to hear :-) However, just to make sure, one more small qtn: How can I tell if there was a minor injury or not? there was no bleeding but still...I feel like a terrible mom....
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (56 minutes later)
Brief Answer: HI Detailed Answer: Please,dont feel like that. This was just small inattention and I am sure you are very carefull mom. other moms wouldnt even notice that there wasnt cover. HIV virus cant live outside the body so it cant be transmissed through objects. prolonged contact of blood or body fluids is necessary for hiv transmission and this didnt occur in your case. If there was injury it would bleed and then bacterial infections may develop,not viral. . It is extremely hard to injure bowel with thermometer so you dont have to think of it. Just relax and enjoy in your baby.
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (3 hours later)
Dear Dr Romic, Thank you so very much!!! I feel much better now :-) I will definitely try to relax and anjoy my baby, doctor's advise after all.... Brg, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (33 hours later)
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: You are welcome.
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon