Can 250 mg of Zoloft be fatal?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Mental Health
Question: My doctor increased my daily dosage of Zoloft from 200mg which I've been on for some years, up to 250mg. After a few days I felt a little better however now I'm feeling worse, anxious, feeling a 'pressure' sensation in my brain, generally spaced out. Are these symptoms due to increased dose and/or will they subside? He wants to change to Pristiq as I've been on Zoloft for 15 years, am post menopausal and he feels Pristiq may be a better option for me now I'm older. Your thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

This may indeed be due to the high dose of Zoloft. Zoloft typically is not used at doses above 200mg. These symptoms you describe could be related to a dose that is too high. Pristiq is an excellent medication, and would be a totally reasonable choice for you. I recommend switching to Pristiq.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 52 minutes later
Can I switch to Pristiq straight away or is there a period between different medications?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
You cannot switch right away, as you would experience withdrawal. You need to work with your doctor to carefully cross-taper to the new medication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D