Can ​Morphine Sulfate be taken in place of Oxycodone?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Pain Management
Question: father is on his first fentanyl patch 25mcg/hr, day 2. also taking baclofen tab 10mg and oxycod/apap tab 10-325mg. He has not gotten any relief from the patch yet as we were hoping and didn't think he would still need the baclofen and oxycod. He has run out of the oxycod this morning and being it is saturday we can not see his dr till monday a.m. appt. Can I now give him morphine sul tab 30mg ER in place of the oxycod? This what he was taking before the fentanyl and oxycod. Also, before the morphine he was taking hydroco/apap tab 10-325mg. would it be better to take the morphine or the hydroco in place of the oxycod?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes , you can

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,I understand your concerns but the fentanyl patch takes at least 24 hours up to a few days to start working. your father will need the fast acting narcotics as oxycodone, morphine until the patch starts working and during the adjustement of the fentanyl patch dose. as after the patch starts working it might need to increase the dose to get the desired effect. .yes you can give him morphine 30 mg instead of oxycodone. as for which is better, the responsiveness of patients differ to different narcotics but morphine is essentially stronger in action while oxycodone and hydrocodone are similar to each other. however, using different narcotics together may increase the side effects. this means that you need to monitor your father for respiratory depression , confusion and dizziness. oxycodone also causes constipation. I hope I answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 5 minutes later
What can i do if he is experiencing respiratory depression?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Intravenous naloxone

Detailed Answer:
If he experiences respiratory depression then you should take him as soon as possible to the hospital to be treated with intravenous naloxone.

I hope you find this helpful
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj