Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Callous vaginal texture,black spots,heat rash,hpv

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2564 Questions
I am 5ft 1in. My weight is around 200lbs. Medical history is clean and clear. Two children and I am 34 year old white female. Last January or so I started feeling callus like textures around the back part of vagina. Yesterday I found blackish looking spots around the area going towards my anal area. This was not there couple months ago. I have googled and found info ranging from heat rash to hpv. Any ideas from the description. All pictures I see online are not dark colored like what I have. Thankyou.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

You have described some skin changes in the area around the vagina and rectum as well as within the vagina itself. There are a number of things which we must consider at this time. In the absence of being able to examine you I can give you a list of a few things which should be considered. I think ultimately however that you need to see your doctor as soon as possible for a focused examination and consultation.
The first consideration which you mentioned is HPV. This is a virus which can cause skin changes within the vagina and outside of the vagina as well. Generally it can cause a thickening of the scan in certain areas which are referred to as genital warts.

Another consideration would be a benign inflammation of the skin which occurs in response to and allergen. This usually resolves over a short period of time however and is not associated with skin pigmentation.

The more worrisome considerations which need to be rolled out would be something like a skin change which is consistent with a pre-cancerous lesion. This is extremely rare but certainly needs to be ruled out in your case.

I strongly urge you to make an appointment to see your gynecologist for a good clinical examination. This is the type of thing which can be treated early if it is more worrisome and otherwise your physician will be a will to provide you with peace of mind that there is nothing to worry about.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope my answer has provided you with some reassurance and some good recommendations. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Callous vaginal texture,black spots,heat rash,hpv 14 hours later
what would be some ways of getting rid of this? and when i look this up online, i dont see any pictures of "blackish spots". From what I can see it looks black. Black is always a bad sign from what I have heard about anything really. How do they figure out what it is? Do they take a skin sample or blood test? Thankyou.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later
Hello again and thanks for the followup.

I don't know that black would always be regarded as a bad sign.

You could try taking some warm soaks in a bathtub twice per day to see if this helps. If there is some type of inflammatory component it might lead to improvement.

To figure out what it is sometimes we take a swab for a culture, a scraping of the tissue or sometimes a tiny biopsy. These samples can then be studied in a lab to render an appropriate diagnosis.

Thanks again for the query. I hope this serves to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I'd be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor