Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

CT scan showed subcentimeter paratracheal lymph node. How should I confirm whether it is cancerous or not?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
my ct scan report has indicated subcentimeter paratracheal lymph node, what next step can be adapted to be sure that it is cancer or not?
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be cancer Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. Subcentimeter paratracheal nodes are usually not significant. You have not mentioned the reason why this scan was done. If clinical suspicion is not strong then you may just be observed. Otherwise, we can do a PET-CT scan for further characterization. But as I said, possibility of anything serious is low. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: CT scan showed subcentimeter paratracheal lymph node. How should I confirm whether it is cancerous or not? 13 minutes later
I did first me X-ray being afraid of lung cancer, there were some mottled opacities, I went to my doctor, he prescribed for CT Scan, the report says the above abnormality, no other abnormality was noted, I don't have any other symptom or problems. I have a sound health and active. The sub centimeter lymph node is worrying me.I should be sure that I do not have cancer. Please reply.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 hours later
Brief Answer: These findings are within normal limits Detailed Answer: I don't really see the need for further workup. However, a PET-CT scan may be done to look at these nodes in even greater detail. PET looks at not only the size but also the activity. Again, I don't think your doc will order this unless he has strong suspicions. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor