Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
129 Doctors are Online

CT scan showed polypoidal mucosal thickening. Surgery required or will it be cured by medicine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 1975 Questions
My CT scan shows the following observsations:
a well defined polyp/muscosal retention cyst seein the right maxillary antrum meausring 2.3*1.6 cm
polypoidal mucosal thickening is seen along the floor of the right maxillary antrum and the roof of the left maxillary antrum. evidence of previous sinus surgery with large bony defects seen along the medial wall of both maxillary regions (OMU region).
polypoidal mucosal thickening fills left half of the sphenoid sinus
nasal septum shows deviation to the right side with surgical defect in its mid portion

will this require surgery or can it be cured using antibiotics? what about the sphenoid sinus polypoidal thickening? I have never had it before in the sphenoid sinus and want to find out if this is complicated.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 4 hours later

Welcome in H.C.M. for consultation.

I have gone your query regarding C.T. scan findings showing polypoidal mucosa in both maxillary sinus and left sphenoid sinus. Your nasal septum is also deviated to right side.
Since you are a follow-up case of previous sinus and septal surgery, but you have not provided the report of pre operative C.T. scan report, and you have also not told about when you have been operated.

Your C.T. scan shows patent osteomeatal unit indicates sufficient airway to XXXXXXX sinus on both side. Thus if only few days are passed of your operation than you should wait and take oral antibiotics and anti allergic nasal spray along with steam inhalation and these findings will disappear in about 4 to 6 weeks time.

But on the other hand, if your operation is being done quite long back then you should try antibiotics and anti allergic and decongestants for two weeks and repeat your C.T.scan to see the changes, if in this new C.T. scan you find some improvement then try conservative treatment in the form of steroidal nasal spray for about 6 weeks. If your C.T.scan report remains unchanged then revision FESS operation will be line of treatment.

With Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: CT scan showed polypoidal mucosal thickening. Surgery required or will it be cured by medicine? 1 hour later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX My surgery was in Feb 2007; I have been having severe headache, sometimes dizziness, light headedness and lots of nausea. Is this related to the sphenoidal polyp? Is it hard to treat polypoidal mucos thickening of sphenoidal sinus and any chances of the surgery touching the brain?

is 2.3 cm polyp too large for antibiotics/anti decongestants?
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later
Welcome in H.C.M. for re consultation.
I read your pre operative complaints and you have been operated in Feb 2007, so keeping all these in consideration I think you should go for surgery.
Regarding sphenoid sinus surgery, it is not a difficult surgery for expert hands. Therefore, you consult any XXXXXXX ENT specialist for your operation.

With Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor