Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

CT scan showed mild splenomegaly. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 439 Questions
In a CT Scan I had the report indicated mild splenomegaly, what is this condition and what are the treatment options if any?
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 31 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

Splenomegaly is an enlargement of the spleen. The spleen usually lies in the left upper quadrant (LUQ) of the human abdomen.

The most common causes of splenomegaly in developed countries are infectious mononucleosis, splenic infiltration with cancer cells from a hematological malignancy and portal hypertension (most commonly secondary to liver disease, and Sarcoidosis.

Splenomegaly causes can be divided into three main types:

1. Increased function because of the removal of defective Red blood cells as seen in

nutritional anemias
early sickle cell anemia

2. Increased blood flow as seen in cirrhosis with portal hypertension (because of liver problems)

3. Metabolic and malignant disorders

Thus, Splenomegaly alone will not point to any particular diagnosis, it is in combination with other symptoms, which will point towards the proper diagnosis.

Please consult your doctor, you probably need some investigations to figure it out, what exactly is the cause in your case.

Thanks, I am available for the follow-ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: CT scan showed mild splenomegaly. What treatment should be done? 13 minutes later
What are the available treatments?
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 58 minutes later

Treatment of Splenomegaly / whether the Splenomegaly needs any treatment, depends on the cause of it.

Like if, the cause is destruction of red blood cells or hemolytic anemia it needs to be treated before the Splenomegaly improves.

I will advise you to consult your doctor to do some basic investigations to find the actual cause of this.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor