CT scan showed maxillary sinusitis with blocked osteomeatal complex with ethmoidal sinusitis. Treatment?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Hi my friend was suffering from sinusitis . On examining the CT report revealed the following impression. XXXXXXX Left maxillary sinusitis with blocked osteomeatal complex with ethmoidal sinusitis XXXXXXX Another important area shows XXXXXXX Polypoidal mucosal thickening seen at left maxillary antrum blocking the left osteomeatal complexes XXXXXXX

Please look into the matter and advice the treatment based on the investigation
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to healthcare magic!
Your friend is having a polypoidal mucosal hypertrophy and this is blocking the naturally open passage of the sinus and which has lead to packing up of secretion and the resultant infection called sinusitis.
The problem must be managed by endoscopic surgery and the polyp needs to be resected so that the drainage passage of the sinus get open to restore the normal physiology.
He would need a consultation with the ENT surgeon of the locality.
He would also need broad spectrum antibiotics for the sinusitis.
I hope you would get benefited with my advise.
Wish you a good health.
Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 16 hours later
Is there no remedy clinically. He is agitated to go for the surgery. Any medicine that can combat this problem. If endoscopic surgery needs to be done, is it painful ? nad what is the recovery time for the same ? Have you gone through the reports ? How severe is the sinusitis and latest by when he should go for the operation ?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 21 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
I have seen the reports.
A polypoidal growth is a physical obstruction and there is hardly any scope for medicine treatment, if the problem allowed to persist it may fulminate into sepsis.
Endoscopic intervention is very minimally uncomfortable and recovery is fast, exact days the surgeon can tell after he examines your friend in person.
He should undergo operation as soon as he can manage, delay/trail treatment is not advisable.
Wish you a great health!