Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

CT scan showed enlarged spleen. Having low haemoglobin levels. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 101 Questions
Hi there,

During the CT sceen , i found that my wife has ENLARGED SPLEEN problem .

the reason for the CT (computerized Tomography) scan of the abdomen is Low HB level at 6..
the size of the spleen that is measured as three times of its normal size..

I know low HB level can cause serious complication in future pregencey..could you please advice regarding the treatment options?

Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

You should not think at the moment to the serious complication of the low HB level in future pregnancy, because this low HB level might be life threatening and your wife should be hospitalized and fully investigated as soon as possible.

An enlarged spleen can cause your body to destroy red blood cells faster than they can be made. There are a lot of other causes too which can cause low hemoglobin count.

Treatment for an enlarged spleen focuses on relieving the underlying condition and in this case increasing the level of HB should be the main target. But first step here should be excluding some other serious diseases.

Have the doctor checked the lactate dehydrogenase level? The CT has showed any more enlarged lymph nodes?

I am looking forward to your answer.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor