Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

CT scan found tiny sinuses and hypoplastic. Taking antibiotic. Should I go for surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2547 Questions
I had a CT sinus scan done and was found to have very tiny sinuses, hypoplastic. I also have recurrent sinus infections and upper respritory infections that cause me to be on antibiotics like 12 times a year. One doctor said i should have surgery and one said he didn't think it would help..I was wondering if you could weigh in.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Hypoplasia of multiple Para Nasal Sinuses (PNS) is very rare. Which sinuses are hypoplastic? Has the hypoplasia been classified or any staging done in your report? If you can share the CT PNS Scan images, I will be able to give you an accurate assessment.

2. Hypolastic para nasal sinuses do not develop from birth, whereas the Silent Sinus Syndrome is a collapse of the para nasal sinuses after development. Since the exact causes are unknown, treatment is required only if there are severe symptoms. Do you have any history of trauma during childhood or previous nasal surgery? Some patients with mild symptoms require no active treatment.

3. Indications for surgery are:
a. Cosmetic deformity of the face.
b. Enopthalmos, or sunken eyes.
c. Diplopia (double vision), especially in the vertical direction.
d. Obstructed Sinus, retention of secretions. (Recurrent sinusitis and URTI, as in your case). Surgery may halt the progress of the hypoplasia but is unlikely to reverse the existing changes.
e. Dental and facial pain.

4. Balloon Sinuplasty is an option as compared to FESS (Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery).

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor