CRP test of a new born showed positive. What is the required treatment?

Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: Hi,

I have kid of 11 days by today. On his 8th day doctor has done CRP test and result is positive. Can you explain what does it mean? and What is the treatment kid should get?

Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 38 minutes later
Good afternoon,

CRP- stands for C-REACTIVE PROTEIN, the levels which increase in any sort of stress basically infections and it is not of diagnostic value, only as a prognostic value.

Just if the report reads positive, it doesn’t explain full enough. The result should run in numbers 2, 3, 4... etc., if it is reading above 10 for a 11 day infant, then it is of significance. We will have to find out the cause for it, especially rule out any kind of infection.

In your query, you have not mentioned for what reason the test has been advised or not mentioned the quantitative value. Please provide further details so I can answer you better. Kindly review with your doctor and discuss because the result is showing positive.

Thank you, kindly follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan