CMIA 4th generation tests were negative. ICMA test result shows relative to negative cut off value. Advice

Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hellow doctor ma name is XXXXXXX am meaked after 3 months after 5 and 6 months cmia 4 generation all come back negativ and im come to lab corp after 6 months and im teaked icma panel 083824 and come back 1.00 1.00 specify relative to negative cut off non reactiv non reactiv and another icma same im meaked after 9 months and 2 weeks and come back 1.00 1.00 specify relative to negative cut off non reactiv non reactiv whot is this doctor specify relative to negative cut off please help mi.
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 7 hours later
Brief Answer: CMIA testing for HIV Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX Welcome to health care magic. I have gone through your query and due to some spell errors I am able to understand these points from your question. Please correct me if I am wrong. You have tested for CMIA 4th generation test at 3 months, 5 months and 6 months and all reports were negative for HIV. You again tested for HIV by Labcorp ICMA test and you are confused about the results. ICMA test is Immunochemiluminometricassay and it detects antigens and antibodies against HIV 1 and 2 types. Each test has a defined cut off value which is fixed by the manufacturer and results are read based on that cut off value. If result less than cut off value, then test is negative. If result more than cut off value, then test is positive. In your case, the result says non reactive meaning negative. Relative to negative cut off value meaning the test result is comparable to negative cut off value. The test results are NEGATIVE. No need to worry. I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Roopa Hiremath 6 hours later
Yeas last one icma am meaked 9 months and 2 weeks. Whot you think doctor ai neaded more test
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 2 hours later
Brief Answer: ICMA tests are always confirmed by western blot Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Welcome back. It is always better to confirm ICMA test results by western blot just to confirm the HIV status. More than two consecutive tests of ICMA have turned negative, so your status is definitely negative. Western blot will confirm those results and you can be relieved from your worry regarding your HIV status. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Whot you think doctor ai needed teaked wstbloot test
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Western blot is confirmatory Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Please get a western blot test done so that your HIV negative status is confirmed. Thanks.