CBC test showing low eosinophil count. What are the other findings from the report?

Dr. Pratap VGM

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Question: n cbc test dlc column eosinophils are low I.e 0.30 percent what it means
out of 18 parameter in cbc test 13 are regular 5 parameter which have variation mentioning you below.
1. RDW- 14.60 % HIGH CBC
2.LYMPHOCYTES- 17.50 % LOW DLC
3.MONOCYTES- 17.70 % VERY HIGH DLC
4. EOSINOPHILS- 0.30 % VERY LOW DLC
5. MONOCYTES - 1.33 HIGH ALC

WHAT DOES IT MEANS. IN ALC EOSINOPHILS IS 0.02.
WHAT TO DO SUGGEST ME

Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
oppurtunistic infections

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Don't worry some times blood counts will vary for lot of reasons like infections and inflammations and even allergies

In acute infections usually neutrophils counts will increase. But in this case it is ruled out

Lymphocytes will rise in chronic infections etc. But in this case it is ruled out.

Monocytes counts have raised. The point of concern is the reasons for the monocyte counts can be
1. Viral infections
2. Parasital infections
3. Chronic inflammatory diseases
4. Blood disorders and cancers

Some times laboratory errors might cause increase in monocyte counts so repeat the test once. Still if you get same values than you can further evaluate the case with further investigations such as

1. Bone marrow biopsy
2. Ultrasound abdomen
3. Stool examination

Hope information is helpful

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E