Burning sensation near neck. What could be the reason?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: Burning in neck! okay yesterday I was literally dizzy all day long, then today I wake up and I can't turn my head burning sensation down the right side of neck I've tried relaxing and ice pack. it feels like when I touch the part that hurts its a vein. I think anyways, I don't know what to do. I'm scared the two strange occurring problems maybe something I can't handle. plz tell me what it sounds like to you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Stiff neck with burning sensation and dizziness is suggestive of a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.

X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.