Burning sensation in stomach, feeling hungry and vomiting bile. What is the problem?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: I have been having a burning in my stomach and sometimes I feel Im really hungry but when I eat I the burning even worse til its almost painful. I vomit bile at least once a day and almost every night I have to get up and vomit bile. Theres never food in it, just black or dark brown bile.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 53 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described symptomatology, there is high possibility of peptic ulcer disease, bile reflux induced gastric mucosal damage.
Pain on eating increased only in peptic ulcer disease, pancreatitis and cholecystitis.
With symptoms of burning sensation, possibility of pancreatitis and cholecystitis appears to be least as both of these disease are associated with excruciating pain; not with burning sensation.
Presence of heart burn and vomiting signifies the diagnosis of peptic ulcer disease.

Peptic ulcer disease may be in form of chronic gastritis, fundal gastritis, nodular gastritis, follicular gastritis and gastric & duodenal ulcer and adenocarcinoma of stomach.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up & endoscopy.
You should also go for breath urea test for H. pylori infection.
Helicobacter pylori bacteria is responsible for peptic ulcer treatment and eradication is essential for complete relief.

You should also go for complete hemogram, x XXXXXXX abdomen (to rule out intestinal obstruction), ultrasound imaging and serum electrolytes, blood sugar, thyroid profile.
You should take prokinetics (which increases gastrointestinal motility) along with antiemetics on written prescription.

You should take frequent small amount meals.
Avoid tomatoes, legumes, citrus fruits, onion, garlic, spicy and oily food.
Avoid tea, coffee and chocolates.
Take soft diet with yogurt.

As such there is no correlation between glucoma and mitral valve prolapse and mentioned symptoms.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava