Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Burning sensation and mild pain below spine. Mammograms clear. Should I go for bone scan?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10396 Questions
hi , i had a masectomy 12 years ago with no further treatments .i have yearly mammograms,my last one in march being all clear .i went to my doctor last week with a muscle ache in my middle back just below bra strap by my spine not on my spine with a mild ache coming round to the front rib with a mild burning.i sometimes get very sore ribs when i press on them underneath mt left breast . and sometimes my breast bone is sore to touch . she is sending me for a bone scan my blood came back that i had no inflammation i do feel quite anxious by this and have started worrying she did say there was a long waiting list for a bone scan , i am otherwise a well and healthy 64 year old woman thankyou
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in your back radiating to the front rib with mild burning could be due to a bone lesion secondary or breast cancer or could be a muscle pain due to bad posture or a tight bra strap.
You can start taking mild pain killers, do a hot fomentation in the area and get some muscle relaxants prescribed from your physician. Application of a local analgesic gel on the area after a hot fomentation will help the muscle related pains.
The best way to get it diagnosed is a bone scan for which you will have to wait.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor