Burning pain on the left side of body. Have anemia, elevated B12, and vitamin D deficiency. Treatment?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello,
I am a 43 year old female with a problem that I have endured all throughout my life. Since I can remember, I always had a burning pain on the left side of my body. The pain always starts from the left lower quadrant, and then the burning pain radiates to my left leg up to my left back side, to the left side of my neck, and to my whole face. Whne this happens, I also feel pain traveling up from my right foot up to my right knee. Sometimes with this burning pain I have pain in my eyes and a burning pain in my tounge. I can have this pain for a month or up to 6 months and then the pain vanishes. After the pain disappers, I feel OK for a little while until the burning pain returns. Recently, I did not have this pain for approximately a year and then the pain came back 2 months ago with all of its symptoms. Now the pain in the left lower quadrant is worse, and I have burning in the left site of the body again. I feel like something is poisoning me when the pain is worst in this area, and then i have nausea but no vomiting. 2 weeks ago, I began to feel a sharp pain in in the lower left quandrant under the pelvis bone, and I felt nausea and burning pain along with numbness, which was intense to the point that I felt as if I was shaking and I was weak. When I am lying down, the sensation that I feel is less intense, but when I begin to do physical activity, I feel the burning pain again. When I was pregnant (I was pregnant two times), I experienced this burning pain all the time, and the pain became worse towards the end of the pregnancy.
I saw a neurologist, and I had 6 MRIs of my brain and a lumbar puncture, but everything was fine. My bloodwork is also fine, except that I have anemia, elevated B12, and vitamin D deficiency. So, I am looking for an answer as to what causes this burning pain.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The burning pain that you are having is not likely ot be related to any serious disorder. Since the MRI scans including a lumbar puncture are normal, it is likely to be due to psychological cause. Vitamin D deficiency and anaemia can also cause such altered sensations.
You need to start taking the proper supplements after getting these prescribed from your neurologist. Taking medicines like Pregabalin and gabapentin may help you feel symptomatically better.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.