Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Burning and irritation on urination, semen with yellow discoloration. Causes for burning sensation ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I have been feeling irritation when I pee and semen has turned yelloish. Started about the same time.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 57 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

There can be many causes for the semen turning yellow. Some are harmless and some may be worrisome.

In the former case, sulfur XXXXXXX diet, presence of urine in the semen, sexual encounter after a long break, etc., can all cause a yellowish tinge in the semen. The more worrisome causes would be infections like infection, prostatitis, etc.

Now the important step here is to find the cause and treat it. A few test such as routine urine analysis and semen analysis can help us to rule out infections. Your physician can help in streamlining the test. Antibiotics may be required if any infection is found. Hence I encourage you to consult you physician.

Meanwhile, drink plenty of water. Also urinate before any sexual encounter.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more queries, please get back to me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Burning and irritation on urination, semen with yellow discoloration. Causes for burning sensation ? 1 hour later
How about the irritation when i pee that is usually worse in first thing in the morning. I the morning its closer to the burning side of things. Nothing looks unusual about that though.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 13 minutes later
Hello again,

Thank you for the follow up.

Well,thats mostly indicative of infection.UTI) can co exist with other infections also.

You should get the tests done and if there is infection it will show up in the test report.
The burning and irriation is usually signs of an UTI.

Based on the test results your doctor will prescribe you appropriate antibiotics, which will take care of the infection for good.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor