Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Bumps near genitals that heal after popping, foul smelling urine and thick vaginal discharge. STD or HPV?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
I have bumps near my genitals that have a seed like ball in side them when I "pop" them. Then they heal and go away. I have looked up all sorts of STD pictures and I can't find anyhog that matches. My first though was HPV but I don't know if you can get rid of a genital wart by scratching it off or extracting the "seed". I also have foul smellIng urine and thick vaginal discharge but I have an appointment for those problems on Monday.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 29 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) usually present with many symptoms, chief ones being discharge, burning sensation in urethra, redness, irritation, ulcer or sore, pain in the genitalia or early flu like symptoms in case of HIV.

The symptoms which you have reported as foul smelling urine, vaginal discharge and bumps seem to be related to each other and reflect an infection of bacterial, fungal or parasitic origin.

It is impossible to guess what the cause is without the benefit of examining you and examination of the bumps and Pap smear of the vaginal discharge.

The symptoms can be due to various reasons as papilloma virus; chlamydia and gonorrhea can sometimes even cause a vaginal discharge.

The tests for all these are very simple and proper medications can resolve the symptoms quickly.

If infective cause is detected (and if you are sexually active) get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection.

Meanwhile some suggestions:

1) Avoid unprotected intercourse and always use condom especially with an unknown partner.

2) Wear loose cotton underwear.

3) Avoid douching, tampoon use, bubble bath, sprays etc as they may disturb the normal vaginal flora.

4) Drink lots of water.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bumps near genitals that heal after popping, foul smelling urine and thick vaginal discharge. STD or HPV? 3 hours later
Can a fungal, parasitic, or bacterial infection cause bumps like I described? I'm mostly concerned with the bumps. I will have them looked at but I am really worried about HPV. Do genital warts have seeds? If you "pop" a genital wart will it go away? I feel like a wart would be difficult to remove and these are fairly easy to scratch off. I just want to know characteristics of genital warts I guess.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 5 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Yes of course various sexually transmitted infections are caused by different bacteria, virus or parasites only.

Genital warts and HPV both are caused by a virus and warts can appear as raised and sometimes small brown/ black patches that may hurt or itch and can have seeds but usually popping spreads it more so that should be avoided.

Since it is difficult to give a precise diagnosis without clinical examination but some other possibilities can be:

Fungal infection causing itchy small flat spots on the vulva.

Angiokeratomas ( less likely) are blue-to-red papules with a scaly surface located on the vulva.

Contact dermatitis occurring to underwears, perfumed toiletries, soaps, detergents, feminine hygiene sprays or deodorant pads.

Human papilloma virus is transmitted sexually. In order to transmit the virus one does not necessarily need to have any symptoms. The virus simply lives on and under the skin.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor