Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Bump outside vagina, boil, pus. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12268 Questions
I'm 30 and am sexually active. I keep getting a bump on the outside of my vagina, it looks like a boil usually on the sides. Lump would come and stay a couple days, burst by it self and this smelly pus thing comes out. it hurts a lot when its not burst but the pain cease when it is burst. but the smell is terrible...reminds me of orange peel. I don't know what it is but it usually comes more ofthen than not after my period is finished.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.
From your symptoms it seems that you are having recurrent folliculitis - infection of the hair follicles.The smelly pus indicates anaerobic infection. For recurrent infection it is best to get a pus culture and sensitivity done and then start right antibiotic treatment in combination with secnidazole under the guidance of your Gynaecologist.

Next you must consider getting your blood glucose levels checked- both fasting and post - prandial as recurrent infections are commonly associated with diabetes.

Some general measures that need to be taken include-
1.Wear cotton undergarments.
2.Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful to decrease pain and inflammation.
3.Avoid douching or using feminine products.
4. Change sanitary napkins more frequently during periods to avoid infection.
5. Avoid shaving the area if you are.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor