Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Bump on skull and kneecap, painful. Have ulcer and fever due to stress. Is this serious?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Oncologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 576 Questions
Hi. I noticed tonight on the back of my skull tonight (right side at the base) there is a sore bump. I did not hit it. it feels hard and when i press it or dont press it, it hurts, aches. i also simultaneously have a lump (bump_ ) on my right knee cap- same as my head, a bump that really hurts. like I hit my knee, but I didn't. /also, he is going through extreme itching on his hands , to the bone as he describes it and I want to make sure this is not something related to alcoholism and organ trouble if you dont mind answering that question.

I have been under extreme emotional stress from my relationship lately as my boyfriend is an active alcoholic and I have been warned by the therapist about extreme stress over a prolonged period of time (2 yrs) causing serious physical problems. I have recently had an ulcer for the first time as well and fever due to this stress. I just want to make sure that this is not serious (because it is the base of my skull.)

Thank you

my message appears jumbled. the information is not as I typed it. I am the girlfriend who is the non drinker under stress, and I have the bump on my head and knee. My boyfriend the drinker has complained of the itchy hands. hope this helps.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 15 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem but I am glad that you are seeking medical attention for the same. The painful lump you have noticed on your knee and skull could be because of a trivial injury which you are not aware of or could be just small infectious lumps. By your description the lumps don't appear to be problematic. If you could attach a picture of the lumps, I would be able to give a more conclusive diagnosis. In the meantime, you can take some over the counter pain killers and hopefully the swelling will subside in a few days. If they dont subside in a few days, you should consult a surgeon.

With regards to your boyfriend, his problem is most likely related to his drinking habit. You should consult a medicine doctor for the same and also enrol him in a de-addiction program. Drinking can be associated with severe problems, if not given up early.

Hope both of you get well soon. Please feel free to clarify any other query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bump on skull and kneecap, painful. Have ulcer and fever due to stress. Is this serious? 10 minutes later
The lump is just small, size of my thumb pad, hard but sensitive to touch, not movable or bulbous, but like a knot. I read there are lymph nodes at the base of the skull and it could be inflamed from an infection.

also, I read that liver issues can cause itchy palms? is this possible? he describes the itching as not being able to sufficiently get it "itched" and it is all the way to the inside. insatiable, almost. I am seriously stressed and concerned as he has been a very heavy drinker for 8 years, blacks out, vomits, and refuses re-habilitation of any sort.
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 19 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

From your description it sounds like a minor infection or a lipoma (collection of fat, which can sometimes be painful). Please take anti-inflammatory medicines for a few days and if it does not subside in a week, visit a surgeon.

Your boyfriends problems are related to his habit of drinking, which is probably affecting his liver. The symptoms you are describing are suggestive of some amount of liver injury. He needs professional help to get over this problem and a lot of support from your side.

Hope you both get well soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor