Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Bump on back over spine. Why is it fluid filled? Does a dark brown color denote something fatal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 125 Questions
My 2 yr old daughter has a bump in the middle of her back over her spine. It looks like a bruise that feels like its filled with fluid. Its about the size of a quater and it doesn't seem to be causing her any pain. I've noticed it for the past week because its a dark brown color and sometimes its pink. About 2-3 months ago, she had a scab in that same spot like she had hit or bumped into something, but this past week its been very noticeable. Should I be worried or should I see a doctor?
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

I have gone through the details as above. A lump in the back over the spine is always concerning. There are numerous possibilities to explain this lump, but we must rule out if this swelling is from spinal cord or its covering (meningocele) first.

I feel that you should get the baby checked up by a Pediatrician or Pediatric Neurologist to assess for the cause of swelling with or without delayed speech development. Based on clinical evaluation, your doctor may recommend X-ray / Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of cervical spine and brain.

Other possibilities are inflammed cyst / lipoma, etc.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Wish you and your daughter good health.

Dr. Pratap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor