Bump inside upper lip, not painful to touch, clear fluid inside, unable to pop it. Oral cancer symptoms ?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi I have a bump inside my upper lip. It does not hurt when i touch. It appear overnight 4 days ago and its been with me till now. The bump looks like there is a clear fluid inside. About 2/3 of a pencil eraser. Since there is no pain i'm scare of oral cancer. I use to get something looks very similar to this many time, but at the roof of my mouth and it goes away in on day. It would pop. But this one is on the inside of my upper lip and 4 days now. I try to pop it but it just keep moving back in my cheek when I try to. It move to the side. If I get it still I problaby pop it. Should I even try to pop it?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Thank you also for submitting the picture which gives me a good idea of what you're talking about. From reviewing and the image it looks like what you are dealing with is what is called a mucocele. This is a benign fluid collection that sometimes can form inside the mouth. These can be unpredictable and Maine former randomly. Sometimes they can form with minor, to the inside of the mouth which can happen with eating certain foods with sharp edges.

I would not try to pop this area right now. Your body will eventually absorb the fluid and the mucocele will resolve slowly on its own. I know it is difficult to suppress the tendency to want to pop this area but do your best to try to let it be for now. The reason I recommend this is that on the rare occasion. These can become infected.

Again I would like to reassure you that this is a benign thing.
I am very confident that you do not have any type of cancer going on.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T