Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Bulging disc, spinal stenosis, foraminal stenosis, arthritis. Any advice.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10450 Questions
Hi, my name is XXXXXXX, I'm 35, 6'2" & 170lbs. I began having back pain when I was 17, I've had 13 epidurals & a laser back surgery (done at LSI in Tampa, FL) in 2008. The surgery was done on my right side only. It did help, but have mild pain sometimes. I was diagnosed with bulging disc L-3-L4 L4-L5 & L-5-S-1, spinal stenosis, foraminal stenosis & arthritis in that area. But my pain is extremely bad in the middle & both sides of my tail bone & the left side has pain going down all the way to my heal & not like the right side which the pain went to my big toe. It's hurting to the point were it's hard to move, lay & walk. I've has been working out & running, but the last week or so I've not been able to do anything. Thank you in advance for any type of advice you can give me.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in your tail bone with radiation of pain to the leg is most likely associated with progressive arthritis and disc problem in the area. An MRI of the spine will help in diagnosing the exact problem. You need to consult your orthopedician for proper treatment.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
- avoid exercises in times of pain.
- improvise your posture while sitting.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor