Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Bulbocavernosus reflex test. Is the penis erect then? What is the procedure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10252 Questions
is the mans penis erect when the doctor bulbcocavernosusperforms test,step by step how does test go and does the doctor do it till an orgasm occurs.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Bulbocavernosus reflex is tested in cases of erectile dysfunction to help with the diagnosis. This test evaluates nerve sensation in the penis. During the test, your doctor will squeeze the head of your penis, which should immediately cause your rectum to contract. If nerve function is abnormal, there will be a delay in response time or absence of rectal contraction.
In this test, erection is not produced. Only the nerve function is assessed.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bulbocavernosus reflex test. Is the penis erect then? What is the procedure? 2 hours later
does she observe the rectum or put he finger there and isn't this also a test for spinal column damage
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

1. To monitor the contraction of rectal sphincter, per rectal examination can be done. In some centres, electrophysiological recordings are taken by putting the electrodes on the perineum.

2. This test is also used to test the lower spinal column damage specially the scaral fibres S2-S5.

Hope this answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor