Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Bubble near belly piercing, scabbing, discharge, redness. Anything I can do?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
I had my belly pierced once before and havebhad it done again. Its been pierced for about 6months now and i knocked it a few weeks back and i now have a bubble in between my piercing by my top hole. It scabs over and through hot water compresses the scab falls off, but it keeps rescabbing as its an open wound. Ive had it for about 2 weeks now and sometimes a little but of discharge comes out, also it is very red but i think this could be the scar tissue underneath. Is there anything i could take to stop the scab re falling off and to reduce the redness and heal it again. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
What you have is a condition where there is infection and inflammation of the belly button. The cause is retained foreign body that you have got pierced. Removing it will help in reducing the infection in the area.
Keep the area clean and dry. You may use cool pack over the site to reduce symptoms of inflammation. Apply antibiotic ointment like Neosporin or Fucidin thinly at the site for 3-4 days. Avoid using soap or any irritant substance at or near the navel. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Eat food XXXXXXX in protein like cereals, pulses, chicken, lean meat for aiding in recovery from infection and boosting immune system.

It is best to consult a Doctor to get an appropriate systemic antibiotic prescribed

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bubble near belly piercing, scabbing, discharge, redness. Anything I can do? 10 hours later
When reading online i thought it could be through maybe slight irritation because the lump only appeared after i started vigorous exercise and wondered if this could be the reason. I am just scared as i read it could be an abcess leading to blood poisoning. Do you think it sounds like an abcess or more an i fection, just to put my mind at ease,malso is there anything i could do to help it without removing it as this is the secnd time i had it pierced and dont want to go through the process again. Also, could it be the scar tissue making it a red colour from underneath. Thnank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The lump and discharge in the umbilicus is likely to be due to an infection and is not related to the exercise.
A persistent infection can lead to an abscess but the generalized blood poisoning or septicaemia is unlikely.
You can start with oral antibiotics and if it subsides then you can keep the piercing intact.
The red tissue you can see is the granulation tissue and is the healing healthy tissue.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor