Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Bruising on the cheek, black eye. History of chronic allergies. Why?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
My cheek has been tender for about 2 weeks, then yesterday I developed a thin black eye around the nose side. Today I am starting to see slight bruising on that cheek. I haven't had any illness for months. I do have chronic allergies, XXXXXXX often make my nose run. Any idea?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

There are various causes for the black eye to develop, among them the commonest causes are allergic rhinitis and sleep deprivation.

The cheek tenderness could be due to sinusitis which has to be confirmed after a thorough examination of the nose and the paranasal sinuses.

After going through the history provided by you, I do feel the cause for the above problems could be due the chronic nasal allergy. Chronic nasal allergy causes edema of the nasal mucosa and blockage of the sinus openings. The blockage of the sinuses in turn leads to stagnation of the secretions and later infection, which is termed as sinusitis. The sinusitis will cause heaviness of the head and pain over the respective sinuses.

In conditions of allergy particularly those with Hay fever will usually have itching around the nose and the eyes and because of rubbing or scratching the skin turns dark. These under-eye "smudges" are commonly seen during the height of the allergy season.

And hence, both the darkening over the orbital region as well as the pain over the cheek might be because of the allergic rhinosinusitis. I would suggest you to consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough examination and appropriate management.

Hope I have answered the query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor